Thursday 27 December 2007

The First Post

It's a wet and windy post-Christmas December day. The rain's coming down hard. The dogs won't set foot outside the back door. The car's in for an MOT and service. The gym's closed until tomorrow. The telly is as pathetic as it's been all Christmas long, so now seems as good a time as any to take the first tentative steps on my magnum opus. It's been going round and round in my head for the best part of five years now.

By writing it on a blog rather than on Microsoft, I guess I can copyright the concept today by setting out the plot outline. And in time I hope to be able to post links to various people that I hope will help, either with constructive criticism, research, or direct input. It's a big job, but all being well here's hoping I can break the back of it during 2008. That's one of my resolutions. I hope once I start writing things will start to flow. At the moment, though, the scale of what I'm embarking on today is daunting. But I know that each post I write, however small, will take me that little bit closer to the end of the project.

I got a great bit of writing advice from Chris Davison, immediate past-President of the PSA North West, a couple of months ago. It was, quite simply, that when you write you don't have to start at the beginning and finish at the end. Thanks for that Chris. It's helped me to get started. It does mean, however, that this will be a very disjointed blog where things might finish before they start.

As for writing style, thanks to Debbie Catt. I'll do everything possible to write as I speak, avoid flowery language and keep sentences short.

I'm going to write a book, because I wouldn't know where to start writing a film script. But I'm writing a book with a view to it being made into a film, and if it sells ten copies but becomes a blockbuster movie then I'll happily settle for that.

I want to keep all the posts self contained, so that's enough for this one. The next one will probably be quite long. I'll be giving some background on me, where the plot stems from, and the skeleton of the plot itself. And if that's enough to get film companies fighting for the rights, then so be it!

If you just happen to stumble across this blog and want to leave some comments, then feel free to do so, either through the comments function on the blog or by email to Fitflett@aol.com.

No comments: